About The Community Bank
The Community Bank opened the doors for business in June of 2007. It is the only locally owned and independently operated bank in Bridgeport, Texas. The bank’s shareholders and board of directors consist of a group of individuals with strong ties to the local community. These long time residents and local business owners have a vision to provide the citizens of Bridgeport and Wise County with a hometown bank that offers a full line of banking services that are delivered in a friendly, personal manner.
"Being a good neighbor" is an important part of the mission of The Community Bank. Every year, the bank donates thousands of dollars and numerous hours of community service to the school district and local charities.
The Community Bank is guided by officers Theresa East, and Joe Murphy, who, combined, have more than 90 years of experience in banking.
About The City of Bridgeport
The origins of the City of Bridgeport can be traced back to a stagecoach route that passed through the city. In the late 1850’s, John Butterfield was awarded a contract by the government to provide mail services between St. Louis, Missouri and San Francisco, California. Mr. Butterfield’s service, which was known as Butterfield Overland Mail, passed through North Texas as it made its way west to California. In order to successfully make this journey, the Butterfield Overland stagecoach had to cross over the West Fork of the Trinity River. This necessitated the building of a bridge. In February 1860, William H. Hunt was granted a charter from the West Fork Bridge Company to build a bridge across the West Fork of the Trinity River. The bridge was located approximately one mile southwest of the present town site. After the American Civil War began, the mail route was no longer used and the original wooden bridge was abandoned.
In 1873 a new iron bridge was built and a post office established, thus formally creating the city of Bridgeport, Texas. Bridgeport’s future was assured in 1882 when Charles Cates discovered a vein of bituminous coal while drilling for water. The Wise County Coal Company was formed and was a leading producer of coal for the state until competition from natural gas and petroleum closed the coal mines in 1929.
In 1893 the Rock Island Railroad established a line east of the town, so the town moved approximately one mile east to its present site. In 1913 the town was incorporated. Gas and oil production became a local industry prior to 1917. The 1920s census showed a town of 1,872. During the 1920s, limestone quarries that produced aggregate for road construction and a brick factory were established. In 1931, a dam was constructed approximately three miles west of town on the West Fork of the Trinity River, creating Lake Bridgeport. The lake was a local center for recreation and remains so today. During the latter half of the 20th century, Bridgeport's oil, gas, and limestone industries continued to flourish and the town became the second largest town in Wise County.
Today, Bridgeport is a progressive city of 5,800 citizens that has managed to maintain a small town atmosphere.